The Melodies in Motion Curriculum for Preschoolers
7 Step Class Curriculum! - Simply follow the numbers to teach the class.
Music is Poetry to Me
- Take empty paper towel rolls.
- Wrap paper or plastic wrap on one end.
- Rubber band that end to fit.
- Fill with tiny beans.
(Lentils are good. Watch choking sizes!)
- Plastic wrap opposite end.
- Rubber band ends.
Life Readiness Lessons:
Situational Emotional Awareness, Power of Music
Music is Poetry to Me has almost a slow-moving southern
quality in the rhythm of the song that encourages children to
find the sounds in the instruments of the world that heal and
soothe their hearts while also being aware of the sounds
that can hurt their hearts (and others ears.)
Music is Poetry to Me teaches the power of sound to
heal or harm while encouraging self-awareness and
self control to create a world of harmony.
Can You Make Sounds that
1. Circle Time
3. Discuss Life Readiness Lesson
4. Dance the Melodies in Motion!
• 1. Watch the INTRO video to see what moves you will be doing!
• 2, Then watch the the full Melodies in Motion video.
• 3. Teacher dance with the video in background. (Kids may join in.)
• 4. Everyone dance!
*Repeat if you wish.
* The Motions are suggestions that tell a story and introduce basic Yoga standing poses and sign language to students. BUT KIDS CAN DANCE HOWEVER THEY WISH! Just have them start and come back to same place and, of course, respect other's space.
Song Lyrics • Music is Poetry to Me
1. INTRO VIDEO
2. The Melodies in Motion - FULL VIDEO
Music is Poetry to Me
5. Color Worksheets
Choose (or do both!)
• Life Readiness Lesson Worksheet.
Leading questions to ask as kids as they color:
- Different instruments make different sounds. So can we!
- What sounds do all the instruments make?
- Are they soft or loud? Can you be soft or loud?
• Matching Game.
- Color, cut out, and play the matching game!
7. Take Home Coloring Page
If there is time, or need to keep kids busy while waiting for next class, here is another coloring page with the song illustration and Melody Motto.
*They can also take it home to color it and remember all the good things from today!
• Melody MOTTO coloring page
For the Classroom
CLASSROOM MOTTO FLIER
Hang the Classroom Motto flier on the wall to remind kids and parents what Life Readiness Lesson you are learning today!
• Music is Poetry to Me
HEART'S HOME BASE
For the Melodies in Motion dance time you can create a heart (or color this page) for each child so that they start and come back to the same place. A yoga mat, pillow, or towel can also be used.
HEART'S HOME - OPTIONAL COLORING PAGE
• My Heart's Home Base for The Melodies in Motion dances
(Can also use felt, fabric, etc. to make the heart!)